Seattle Local Food has been nominated Best Food Blog at the King 5 Best of Western Washington contest!
First, thank you to whoever nominated the site. I really appreciate it. If you’d like to vote for us, go ahead! You can vote using this button:
(Second, as a fan of lolcat nerdiness, I always think “nominate” should be a verb for “to eat” as nom nom nom is the noise lolcats make when they eat. So, perhaps nomination is a good thing to do for a food blog?)
I don’t know much about the contest — I think King 5 TV does a best-of series every year. And apparently related categories to “Best Food Blog” included things like Dealerships, Jazz Clubs, and Ugliest Dog. (Uh, does this mean I need to get a better profile picture?)
I think the site is a pretty good food blog, but I’m also not particularly competitive, to be honest. Vote however you like. I’ll give you what I think are honest pros and cons:
What Seattle Local Food has going for it:
- Great recipes that are also really good for you
- Pictures of delicious food
- Food politics, like what’s going on with raw milk, or other things I hear about
- Nutrition information and science
- Interconnections: While other sites give you recipes OR nutrition research OR sustainability/food politics information, this site looks at the intersection, because they’re inseparable, and need to be realized as such.
The site’s challenges:
- I don’t always blog regularly. Life happens, school happens, family emergencies happen, anxiety about writing happens. But I love it when I do it
- I’m not a professional chef. But I love to cook, I study health, I could spend hours at farmers’ markets, and I make delicious food that has led to marriage proposals (I haven’t accepted). You get the recipes and the notes.
- There are more comprehensive science-focused nutrition sites out there and I applaud them. There are cooking sites with more recipes, more elaborate recipes, and even more drool-worthy photography. I think that’s great. And there are sites with information on sustainability, which is also great. If you’d like to support one of those areas, without the interconnection, there are many great ones to choose from.
Anyway, there you have it. Vote as you like, and thanks for reading and supporting!